As I begin this Fall 2011 term at Morehead State, I am enrolled in the Advanced Instructional Design course where we are learning about the inner workings of instructional design and becoming experts in the creation of lessons that will impact students in the most effective way possible.
Instructional design to me is the process of creating most importantly, relevant information that students will be able to absorb and utilize in their courses of study and ultimately, in their lives'. ID forces educators to take a closer and more analytical look at the objectives and goals of the lessons that we teach. By examining these lessons in an analytical way, the design of instruction takes a shape of its' own that begins to build a framework for students to build their knowledge of a subject around.
In a way, instructional design is the most important aspect of the process. Although the teaching process is extremely vital to success of students, if a lesson is not designed to be effective, students will be unable to utilize and synthesize the information that is communicated to them.
How do you define "effective" in this context, Kate?
ReplyDeleteAs I read your post, I thought about my own teachers. I need them to have a greater grasp of ID. Perhaps I should arrange PD.
ReplyDelete