Monday, July 11, 2011

Hughes, Chapters 1-2 Discussion

1. What modifications would you make to Hughes' definition of technology? Additions? Subtractions? Why?

In his opening chapter Hughes defines technology as,” craftsmen, mechanics, inventors, engineers, designers, and scientists using tools, machines, and knowledge to create and control a human-built world consisting of artifacts and systems associated mostly with the traditional fields of civil, mechanical, electrical, mining, materials, and chemical engineering,” (pg. 4). As Hughes describes several other significant artists of all types in history, he discusses their definitions before finally developing a self-described overarching definition of technology as previously mentioned. There is hardly room for additions as this encompasses a vast array of practically everything, however, I believe that modifications could be made that would make Hughes’ definition more reader-friendly (as well as other modifications to the book that would make it more reader-friendly, but that’s another story).

For example, in the beginning of the definition, Hughes lists a specific group of professions, which although it does include a majority of those who may have a significant impact on technology, it is not inclusive of everyone that has the ability to impact technology. I also have some issues with Hughes’ notion of “control” that he refers to several times throughout the readings. Technology is definitely a method to control some things, but not all. For example, if we go back to the notion of writing as a technology, there is an aspect of writing that controls the communication method. However, it unleashes a plethora of ideas, notions, and philosophies that cannot be contained or controlled as writing is a method of setting those ideas free. Human nature does direct us to yearn for control over our lives’, and those things that affect us, however, I think that we are intelligent enough to understand that control over everything is impossible.

When reading through these chapters, it seems that Hughes draws a tremendous amount of his book from quoting and summarizing the ideas of other authors and notable technologists of the past. It is somewhat of a struggle for the reader to discern where the ideas or quotations of another have ended and the ideas of Hughes begin. This was also a problem locating his definition, as it is buried in an overview of the entire book within the first chapter. There are also several places where Hughes interjects another view of his definition, such as on page 3 where he says, “I also see technology as a creative process involving human ingenuity.” This only comes after Hughes quotes the definitions of technology from others, which again, is a frustrating characteristic of this book thus far.

2. Discuss Hughes' use of a Judeo-Christian mythos to explain human technology use. Does he give sufficient attention to other cultures?

Chapter 2 begins Hughes’ description of the “Return to Eden,” that the Western and European culture has sought since before the settlement of the Pilgrims. He uses the description from the book of Genesis to explain the theory that early settlers held the belief that technology would serve to recreate the Garden of Eden, and that the new world known as America would provide the fertile soil in which to grow and nurture the garden. Hughes does provide a great description of the different ideas of Eden that were held by different peoples at different times in history. Most felt that God had provided the Earth, namely America as a wild land to be conquered by man with the creation and use of tools and technology to cultivate and conquer the land.

Hughes does seem to focus all of his attention on Western culture and civilization, and very little attention is given to any other area of the world. He does account for and describe the early European civilizations and their feelings and contributions to current technological society until the time of the settlement where he then turns his total focus on the West. The problem here is that there is an entire world of technology and creativity that Hughes does not address at all (so far). The book is titled “Human-Built World: How to Think about Technology and Culture,” which does not specify only Western culture and civilization, but the book would lead the reader to think so.

At this point, I am literally counting pages until the end, and hopefully this will be a short week. I’m not sure where Hughes is going here, but hopefully it is somewhere other than readings and quotes from other people.

5 comments:

  1. Kate, This was a good summary. I think you did a good job. I had a hard time getting a handle on these chapters and to react to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice summary! Hughes spends a lot of time discussing how technology is the means to creating another garden of Eden. I thought this was an interesting concept. I had never thought of technology in such a context.

    I agree that this book is kind of frustrating. I feel like I am just reading a lot of quotes and information from authors, etc. and honestly (sorry) find that boring. I'm just hoping at the end of every chapter that the next will get better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree with everyone here, and I just hope this goes by quickly. I do have to be honest, though, and say that I did find the tie that Hughes made between the Protestant Work Ethic and technological advancements to be a really interesting perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AS far as being reader friendly, you kind of have to look at it from the perspective of who would actually be purchasing this book. Aside from academics, like us, the only other people that would be reading this are people that are looking for an excuse to rant with or against the man. I don't have nearly the conflict with Hughes as I do with Postman, but at least I can read this without wanting to form a hunting party!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Hughes lists a specific group of professions, which although it does include a majority of those who may have a significant impact on technology, it is not inclusive of everyone that has the ability to impact technology." I really like this statement...people having the ability to impact.
    I agree that Hughes does not give other cultures attention.

    ReplyDelete